Skip Navigation
Home    Student Article by Elyese Schaaf

Student Article by Elyese Schaaf

Posted on: October 2, 2019

Before coming to AOS, high school was really rough. I was constantly anxious about whether or not I was going to pass my classes and graduate. It was really hard for me to try and pay attention and focus on what the teacher was teaching. I was scared to ask my teachers for help. I didn’t really feel like they cared if I passed or failed. Eventually, I just gave up. I couldn’t keep up with the rest of the class so I couldn’t do my homework. I got so depressed that I couldn’t even learn, so I thought, “why even go to class if I was just going to sit there and be anxious and depressed?”

I skipped every day. My mom got fed up with my actions and asked me if I wanted to drop out and get my GED. I almost considered it because I just didn’t care anymore.

I was told that I wouldn’t graduate because I didn’t have enough credits. They told me I had two option, to take online classes, which I tried and hated, or I could get a referral to go to AOS. I was nervous about going to AOS because there were so many rumors about the “bad kids.” I’ll admit that I was intimidated by the thought and I wasn’t excited to be known as dumb if I went to AOS. I really needed those credits though, so I decided to go to AOS.

When I got there I was really nervous. Little did I know it was going to be the best school I have ever been to. All of the staff are really nice, helpful, and funny. They have no problem  helping you with anything. The students are friendly and welcoming, and honestly, we all have similar reasons as to why we are here, we just need a little extra help. The school is honestly one of the best things that has happened to me. I am finally comfortable going to school. I don’t dread waking up everyday and I am not worried about falling behind or asking for help. It is very comfortable and I agree with what many other students would say. It is like a small little family here at this tiny, but mighty, school.         

Elyese is new to AOS this year as a Junior. She wrote this article as an assignment in her Modes of Writing class.